Reporting Abuse & Sexual Misconduct
Anyone who has reason to believe or suspects that a child has been or is being abused should report their suspicions to civil authorities and then to the diocese’s Office for the Protection of Children & Vulnerable Adults (OPCVA) at 408-983-0113. Parish and school personnel, including clergy, are “Mandated Reporters” and are required by state law to report abuse, even a reasonable suspicion of abuse, to civil authorities (Law Enforcement or Child Protective Services).
If an adult victim/survivor is looking to report a case of Clergy Abuse, we encourage them to fist contact their local civil authorities (Law Enforcement). Once a report is filed with the local civil authorities, individuals are encouraged to contact the diocese’s Office for the Protection of Children & Vulnerable Adults at 408-983-0113.
All reports are confidential to protect the rights of the victim. Reports to the diocese are accepted by either online submission or by phone. For online submission, please use the following URL to access our secure third-party reporting server designated for this purpose: https://opcva.ethicspoint.com or contact our toll-free 24 hour reporting hotline at 844-372-1691.
Diocese of San Jose’s Victim Assistance Coordinator Contact Information:
Griselda Cervantez – Phone 408-983-0225 | Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandated & Ethical Reporters
Volunteers of the Diocese of San Jose are considered “Ethical Reporters,” as opposed to employees who are “Mandated Reporters.” It is the responsibility of each Ethical Reporter to comply with the diocese’s expectations to assist in the protection of youth and vulnerable adults, which requires all volunteers to report any suspicions and/or awareness of abuse to a diocesan staff member on site, who is then responsible for reporting the incident to the appropriate authorities immediately (or as soon as practically possible within 24 hours).
The Diocese of San Jose reports all allegations to the civil authorities, in accordance with mandated reporter laws regardless if the priest is a diocesan priest or religious order priest.
- Within 24 hours: Make a formal report to authorities via telephone:
- Child Abuse/Neglect: Santa Clara County Toll-Free Phone Number 1-833-722-5437
- 408-299-2071 (San Jose Area)
- 408-683-0301 (Morgan Hill Area)
- 650-493-1186 (Palo Alto Area)
- Elderly Abuse: 408-975-4900 (San Jose Area)
- Local Police Department’s Non-Emergency Line: 3-1-1
- Within 36 Hours: Submit a written report to agency via fax or mail
- Mailing Addresses: Agencies serving Santa Clara County
- Santa Clara County Department of Family & Children’s ServicesChild Abuse & Neglect Center373 West Julian St. – Second FloorSan Jose, CA 95110
- Santa Clara County Adult Protective Services333 West Julian St. – Fourth FloorSan Jose, CA 95110