Dear Parish Catechetical Leaders,
Welcome to the 2020/2021 academic year! We understand that there is much uncertainty as we face re-openings and distance learning, but it is important that the Church’s commitment to the safety and well-being of our children remains a priority. As such, and in accordance with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, the Diocese of San José will continue to present the VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children curriculum as the designated youth safe environment program. Please read through the documents provided below to review material and learn about new modifications for this academic year.
In this packet you will find the following resources. Please read carefully for overview of requirements and materials:
- VIRTUS Welcome Letter to Parish Catechetical Leaders
- Teaching Boundaries and Safety Guide: English | Spanish
- VIRTUS Letter to Family (if led by catechist): English | Spanish
- VIRTUS Parent Opt Out Form (if led by catechist): English | Spanish
- VIRTUS Letter to Family (if led by parent): English | Spanish
- VIRTUS Parent Verification Form (if led by parent): English | Spanish
- Modified VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children Lesson: English | Spanish
- VIRTUS Audit Reporting Form
- Electronic Parent Verification Form
- Schedule VIRTUS lesson early in the school year.
- Offer Teaching Boundaries and Safety Guide as resource
- If led by catechist, send home VIRTUS Letter to Family and VIRTUS Parent Opt Out Form at least two weeks prior to lesson
- If led by catechist, keep accurate records of attendance on day of VIRTUS lesson
- If led by catechist, offer electronic or paper copy of VIRTUS lesson to students who turn in Opt-Out Form and to students who are absent
- If led by parent, schedule lesson on same week for all parents. Remind them to submit Electronic Parent Verification Form or paper copy.
- Complete and submit VIRTUS Audit Reporting Form immediately after completion of VIRTUS lesson, no later than April 30, 2021.
For questions and guidance, please contact Griselda Cervantez via email Griselda.Cervantez@dsj.org or phone at (669) 243-9197. For an opportunity review OPCVA requirements and the Modified VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children lesson, please join Griselda at a Virtual VIRTUS Curriculum Q&A Round Table: Open to Catechists and Parish Catechetical leaders, including Youth Ministers and Coordinators. To register, please send your name, role, parish, and preferred date to Griselda.Cervantez@dsj.org. Please choose your preferred session: September 10 @ 6-8:30pm presented in English or September 14 @ 6-8:30pm presented in Spanish
The Office for the Protection of Children & Vulnerable Adults thanks you for your continued partnership in maintaining a safe environment for our most vulnerable. Together, we will face the uncertainty of the new academic year with hope, determination, and prayer.