Dear Parish Catechetical Leaders,
Welcome to the 2022/2023 academic year! With ongoing social changes and challenges, it is important that the Church’s commitment to the safety and well-being of our children remains a priority. As such, and in accordance with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, the Diocese of San José will continue to present the VIRTUS Protecting God’s Children curriculum as the designated youth safe environment program. The lessons can be presented virtually or in person.
In this packet you will find the following resources. Please read carefully for overview of requirements and materials:
- VIRTUS Welcome Letter to Parish Catechetical Leaders
- Program Overview & Founding Principles ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Teaching Boundaries and Safety Guide: ENGLISH | SPANISH
- VIRTUS Parent Letter: Please send home two weeks prior to lesson along with VIRTUS Parent Opt-Out Form. ENGLISH | SPANISH
- VIRTUS Parent Opt-Out Form: Please send home two weeks prior to lesson along with VIRTUS Parent Letter. ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Electronic VIRTUS Annual Audit Reporting Form. Please submit no later than April 30, 2023.
- VIRTUS Lessons by Grade Level
- Schedule VIRTUS Curriculum early in the school year. You may choose to present both lessons separately or combined.
- Offer Teaching Boundaries and Safety Guide as resource to educators.
- Send home VIRTUS Parent Letter & VIRTUS Parent Opt-Out Form at least two weeks prior to presentation of VIRTUS lessons.
- Keep accurate records of attendance on day of VIRTUS lessons.
- Offer electronic or hard copy of VIRTUS lessons to students who turn in Opt-Out Form and to students who are absent.
- Complete and submit VIRTUS Annual Audit Reporting Form immediately after completion of VIRTUS Curriculum, no later than April 30, 2023.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Griselda Cervantez, Victim Assistance Coordinator and Prevention Advocate, via email Griselda.Cervantez@dsj.org or by phone at 408-983-0225.
The Office for the Protection of Children & Vulnerable Adults thanks you for your continued partnership in maintaining a safe environment for our most vulnerable. As always, we will face the ongoing complexities of the academic year together with hope, determination, and prayer.