DIOCESE OF SAN JOSE
Sample Position Description
POSITION TITLE: Coordinator of Youth Ministry
LOCATION: Parish Name FLSA STATUS: Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Youth Ministry SALARY GRADE: VI, VIII, or IX
REPORTS TO: Pastor EMPLOYEE: Employee Name
DATE UPDATED: Last date reviewed FULL TIME OR PART TIME: Full time
The coordinator of youth ministry (CYM) provides vision and coordination for the parish’s efforts in ministry to young people from 6th through 12th grades. This includes high school and middle school sessions (weekly or bi-weekly gatherings), monthly activities, catechesis and sacramental preparation (confirmation).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (other duties may be assigned)
Parish staff member–the CYM will be responsible to:
• Attend regular staff meetings
• Participate in staff planning
• Communicate to staff about youth ministry activities
• Seek staff input in planning youth ministry activities
• Be a resource person to parish staff on issues related to youth and youth ministry
• Serve as the liaison with the pastor, parish staff and the parish council
Parish Youth Ministry–the parish youth ministry program integrates adolescent catechesis into a comprehensive ministry to, with, by and for young people. The CYM’s responsibilities include:
• Facilitating the Youth Leadership Team, which is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive youth ministry program
• Serving on the Youth Ministry Commission, which is an oversight group providing vision, direction, support, and advocacy for the parish ministry with youth
• Coordinating the recruitment, training, supporting, and evaluating of volunteers in the youth ministry program
• Developing a systematic and intentional plan for adolescent catechesis that utilizes a creative variiety of formats, settings, and timeframes
• Providing resources (print, video, web, diocesan events) for effective programming
• Providing appropriate training for the adults and young people in leadership positions
• Coordinating the confirmation program
• Fostering the involvement of young people in the life of the parish, including serving on various parish committees and being involved in parish activities
• Coordinating the outreach to and evangelization of all young people in the parish
• Providing appropriate services and programs for parents of adolescents
• Advocating for a comprehensive vision of youth ministry, based on the1997 USCCB document, Renewing The Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry
• Serving as the liaison with the diocesan office of youth ministry and their programs, services and resources
OTHER OR SHARED RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with the Liturgy Committee in the implementation and development of the youth liturgy (contemporary liturgy)
• Collaborates with other staff in planning common projects
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES:
The Administrative Assistant for Youth Ministry
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience:
B.A. in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, or related field, knowledge of Catholic teachings, catechesis and documents on youth ministry.
Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence and letters and in publishing e-newsletters and flyers in English, ability to develop and facilitate youth programs and confirmation sessions; ability to read and understand church documents and guidelines.
Ability to read, prepare, and manage budgets for major events and programs; prepare annual budget for youth ministry.
Ability to solve problems, make sound decisions, and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Microsoft Office
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to transport materials and equipment (up to 30 pounds) to and from various locations. The employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee will work in an individual office with a door. The offices are situated next to one another. The noise level is usually quiet. The space is wheelchair accessible. The employee will also work at off-site locations for various ministry events, like retreat centers, supervising and directing those events.
The employee is required to be physically present in the office in order to complete office task, be available to work outside of regular business hours as required and check in with and provide calendar to administrative assistant. The employee must be able to work cooperatively with other members of the staff and with youth leaders and volunteers. The employee must be able to multitask.
The employee must have knowledge of Church structure and culture. The employee must have knowledge of current youth culture and current trends and issues within those cultures. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality.
Supervisors and employees should review this position description at the time of hire and at each evaluation conference. Employees should sign and date below. Please give copy to employee and return original to Personnel Office.