The Diocese of San José seeks a part-time writer/editor to share the Good News with nearly 600,000 members of the local Catholic community through various storytelling platforms, including our monthly eNews (circulation 35,000) and a quarterly magazine (circulation 75,000) plus website and social media channels.
The ideal candidate must have a proven track record writing compelling content in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment; a proven initiative producing original stories; and proven experience writing materials that require minimal editing from supervisors and provide high-quality, complete, and factual information. Impeccable written and verbal communications skills are a must.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (other duties may be assigned)
Strategy and Leadership:
· Develop and cultivate strong working relationships with parish, school, and chancery leadership to develop and pitch stories and engage with local audiences.
· Show initiative to seek out and pitch potential stories
Finances and Operations:
· Help to monitor and ensure The Valley Catholic operations stay on schedule and within approved budget.
Collaboration and Communication:
· Interpret assignment briefs to understand project requirements
· Conceptualize and produce written content that meets objectives in an interesting, creative, and professional manner following AP and CNS style with minimal errors and on deadline.
· Conduct high-quality research and fact-check before submitting.
· Interview and connect with people to find the hook for the assigned story
· Perform all project tasks, from hands-on work to coordination and management
· Consistently meet all editorial and production deadlines
· Consistently represent the Church and interview subjects accurately in all materials
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES:
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Photojournalism, Communications
· A minimum of 3-5 years of writing experience using AP style
· Understanding of print production, design and layout process
· 2-5 years prior experience working with newspapers or other publications helpful.
· Final candidates will be required to submit a portfolio of writing samples
· Excellent grammar and writing skills in English using AP or CNS style
· Bilingual skills (Spanish or Vietnamese) desirable
· Comfortable writing for a variety of channels including social media, email, website, print, etc.
· Expertise in using the latest Microsoft Office suite, WordPress, and content management systems.
· Proficient with social media channels including, but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and other emerging channels
· Must be able handle competing deadlines under pressure and prioritize accordingly
· Work well both independently and with a team in a fast-paced environment
· Must have a keen eye for detail and strong organizational skills
· Excellent project management skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with diverse audience
· Possess a positive, service-oriented attitude and be a proven team player but can work independently
· Flexibility to respond to changing priorities
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and/or use the computer for extended periods, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The position requires driving to sites outside of the chancery offices.
Physical Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will normally work in an open area in the Office of Communications. The noise level is usually quiet. The space is wheelchair accessible. Sites outside the chancery offices vary in physical environment.
The employee must be physically present in the office or working at a diocesan site, able to work cooperatively and collaboratively with other members of the staff and with clients and be able to multi-task. Travel and willingness to work nights and weekends may be required occasionally.
· Practicing Catholic preferred.
· Deep understanding with the teachings, values, structure and mission of the Catholic Church
To apply: Send your resumes and cover letter to: Cynthia Shaw Director of Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com