Queen of Apostles School
Queen of Apostles School is located in San Jose, CA next to Archbishop Mitty High School. The staff is committed to meeting the needs of all students and expresses a Never Give Up mentality. We are seeking compassionate individuals who want to make a difference in the lives of children, while working in a diverse, warm, welcoming and vibrant community of students, staff, and parents. The individual should be able to foster expectations spiritually, academically, socially, and emotionally in the classroom and communicate positively and effectively with children, parents and staff.
We are seeking an energetic, active, and dedicated assistant teacher to join our professional and fun-loving team. Candidates should have 12 Early Childhood Education or Child Development Units and 6 months to one-year of preschool experience, plus the ability to pass a background check and fingerprint clearance.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Preschool Director, the Preschool Teacher
Assistant is responsible for providing assistance and support in the creation of an appropriately safe, caring and
enriching environment for children enrolled in the program and for ensuring that the program is supportive of the
school’s philosophy, organization, and curriculum. The Preschool Teacher Assistant assists the Preschool Teacher
in preparing activities, meeting the needs of students, and creating an effective learning environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (and other duties as assigned):
- Implement daily activities as directed by the Preschool Teacher and in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the program.
- Support the Preschool Teacher in positive classroom management and delivering effective instruction to all students, including in small groups and individually.
- Assist the Preschool Teacher in maintaining a functioning classroom environment. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Classroom setup
- Bulletin boards
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment based on the safety and behavioral standards of the school
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and other professionals.
- Monitor and assist individual students in groups to support program activities.
- Comply with security procedures, including attendance, pick-up, and emergency procedures to ensure the children’s safety.
- Exhibit warmth and care in working with children in stressful situations.
- Understand the principles of child development and preschool education models.
- Exhibits flexibility in day-to-day school environments.
- Excellent organizational and human relations skills.
- Self-motivated and reliable.
- Able to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with principal, parents, staff, and the general public.
- Able to manage moderate levels of stress.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus (internal and external).
- Ethical and discreet team player.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Act as a role model of professionalism in a Catholic environment.
- Support the philosophy, policies, and goals of the school, as well as the decisions made by the Principal and Administrators.
- Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all students.
- Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the parent/student handbook and employee handbook.
- Work as part of a team.
- Attend faculty, administrative, and all other meetings as needed.
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES: N/A
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES (OTHERS): N/A
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, or physical demands required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 6 ECE units in core classes, Child Development, Child Family and Community, and curriculum areas.
- Two years’ experience working in a Preschool, preferred.
- Sufficient training to perform tasks assigned by the Principal, Preschool Director, and/or Preschool Teacher.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders of the school.
- English, required.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese) preferred.
- Infant First Aid and CPR certified.
- Proficient at word processing, presentation, and electronic mail applications.
- Experience with school information systems (SIS).
- Working knowledge of Workday, or willingness to learn.
- Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications.
- Sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting, repetitive motion, bending, stooping, crouching, climbing, stretching, twisting.
- Can lift 25 lbs. in compliance with safety standards.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
- Handles exposure to climate change and temperature.
- Can operate standard office equipment such as copiers, fax machines, personal computer, telephone, and alarm system.
- Level of vision, hearing, speaking required.
- Able to work evenings and weekends if required.
- Must have an understanding and acceptance for the mission of the Catholic Church.
- Must support the teachings and values of the Catholic Church and its mission.
Interested candidates should contact Stefanie Hoover, Principal at 408-661-7604 or email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Salary Range: $23.22 – $26.88 per hour, based on education and experience.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org