St. Martin of Tours School is seeking an Instructional Assistant for the 2022-2023 school year. St. Martin of Tours School is located in San Jose, serving 325 students in grades TK-8. Interested candidates should review the job description and qualifications below and contact David Cortese, Jr. at David.firstname.lastname@example.org .
Under the direct supervision of the Principal, the Instructional Assistant is responsible for aiding the teacher in achieving educational objectives. The Instructional Assistant, under the direction of the teacher, assists in providing a well-organized, smoothly functioning class environment in which students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (and other duties as assigned):
Classroom Management and Learning Environment
● Support the Teacher in positive classroom management and delivering effective instruction to all students, including in small groups and individually.
● Report progress regarding student performance and behavior.
● Assure the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures; maintain a safe, orderly, and clean learning environment.
● Tutor individual or small groups of students, reinforcing instruction as directed by the Teacher; monitor and oversee student drills, practices, and assignments in various subjects; confer with the Teacher concerning lesson plans and materials to meet student needs.
● Maintain discipline in the absence of the Teacher.
● Supervise students both inside and outside the classroom where assigned.
● Accept responsibility for the safety and well-being of each child.
Instructional Materials and Clerical Tasks
● Assist the Teacher in maintaining a functioning classroom environment. Examples include but are not
● Assist in the preparation of instructional materials and exercises as well as the implementation of lesson
● Understand the principles of child development and education models.
● Exhibits flexibility in day-to-day school environments.
● Excellent organizational and human relations skills.
● Self-motivated and reliable.
● Able to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with principal, parents, staff, and the general public.
● Able to manage moderate levels of stress.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus (internal and external).
● Ethical and discreet team player.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
● Act as a role model of professionalism in a Catholic environment.
● Support the philosophy, policies, and goals of the school, as well as the decisions made by the Principal and Administrators.
● Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all students.
● Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the parent/student handbook and employee handbook.
● Work as part of a team.
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, or physical demands required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience:
● High school diploma. Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
● Course credit in child development, preferred.
● At least two years’ experience implementing educational programming and working with students as a Teacher and/or educational aide, preferred.
● Previous experience supervising children.
● Sufficient training to perform tasks assigned by the Principal and/or Teacher.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders of the school.
● English, required.
● Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese) preferred.
● First Aid and CPR certified.
● Proficient at word processing, presentation, and electronic mail applications.
● Experience with school information systems (SIS).
● Ability to use devices common to classrooms (e.g.: cameras, projectors, etc.).
● Working knowledge of Workday, or willingness to learn.
● Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications.
● Sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting, repetitive motion, bending, stooping, crouching, climbing, stretching, twisting.
● Can lift 10 lbs. in compliance with safety standards.
● Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
● Handles exposure to climate change and temperature.
● Can operate standard office equipment such as copiers, fax machines, personal computer, telephone, and
● Level of vision, hearing, speaking required.
● Able to work evenings and weekends if required.
● Must have an understanding and acceptance for the mission of the Catholic Church.
● Must support the teachings and values of the Catholic Church and its mission.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com