Job Title: Director, Villa Maria del Mar
Location: Villa Maria del Mar Retreat Center, Santa Cruz, CA
Reports To: Sisters of the Holy Names Province Leader (Provincial)
POSITION SUMMARY: Villa Maria del Mar is a sponsored work of Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary – US Ontario Province and a house of hospitality for individuals and groups who are seeking a beautiful and serene place for prayer, planning and healing. Since 1963 Villa Maria del Mar has served as a place of renewal and rest for Sisters of the Holy Names from California and the larger US Ontario Province. The retreat center currently includes a small community of SNJMs who minister as hostesses for groups/guests and members of the Villa Chapel community. The Director is responsible for strategic and operational leadership using strong management skills to support the vitality of Villa Maria del Mar Retreat Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manages the overall administration of the Villa, including staff and facilities.
2. Manages and maintains quality control of all aspects of the Villa including guest services, food
service, technology, ambiance, housekeeping, property maintenance and security.
3. Manages staff and volunteers to form an interdependent, positive, and respectful team.
4. In collaboration with Province finance office, provides sound financial management with
transparency and accountability. Maintains a three-year budget plan for revenue, expenses,
5. Reviews and approves external vendor contracts and services; receives bids for major capital
improvements and reviews with Province finance office and others as required.
6. Plans Villa sponsored retreats and events. In collaboration with other organizations hosts
enriching programs that are consistent with the Villa’s mission and values.
7. Develops and oversees a consistent marketing plan to maintain current Villa guests and to
identify new audiences. The plan would include all public elements of the Villa, such as the web
site, publications, correspondence, listservs, advertisements, etc.
8. Develops opportunities that enables Villa Maria del Mar Retreat Center to continue to be a
resource to Northern California dioceses, particularly the Diocese of Monterey, and other
religious, including non-profit organizations, and educational groups in the region.
9. Nurtures benefactors, supporters and cultivates a team of fundraisers.
10. Collaborates with the leadership of Star of the Sea Parish to continue providing liturgies at the
DIRECT REPORTS: Facilities Manager, Housekeeping Manager, Guest Services Manager
Receptionist/Bookkeeper, and Villa volunteers.
INTERRELATIONSHIPS: Collaborates with Province Department Directors; SNJM Sisters and
Associates, direct reports, local community contacts, and others as required in fulfillment of job
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to accomplish
satisfactorily the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The requirements listed below
are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree required and graduate degree preferred. Experience with faith based and/or nonprofit organizations.
Must have 3- 5 years of full-time experience in managing the operations and maintenance of a
retreat center or hospitality related business. Experience must include financial management,
employee management/supervision with experience in building and leading a team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. Understands, respects, and supports the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Names, the mission of
Villa Maria del Mar, and their rootedness in the Catholic Church.
2. Demonstrates alignment and an ability to communicate SNJM Guiding Values and understands
the ministry of spiritual development.
3. Understands and supports retreats and/or educational events.
4. Respects and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
5. Adapts to current needs and uses ethical professional judgment; especially when responding to
urgent and/or stressful situations.
6. Possesses strong organizational and managerial skills; has demonstrated the ability to manage,
coach, and evaluate staff members.
7. Demonstrates effective communication skills using correct verbal and written English.
8. Demonstrates experience in marketing, long-range planning, volunteer development, and
9. Is proficient in using word processing, spreadsheets, presentation programs and understands
video conferencing /telecommunications platforms.
10. Understands Catholic Church structures to facilitate relationships with religious, priests,
parishes, dioceses, and other Catholic organizations.
11. Is willing to work a flexible schedule including occasional evening and weekend work.
12. Is able to travel to various locations for meetings.
13. Ability to speak or comprehend Spanish a plus but not required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to climb stairs, walk a campus of about two acres, assist with furniture and other set-ups for
groups as needed. This includes lifting (up to ten pounds), pushing, and bending. Ability to shut off
water and gas systems and alarms in emergency situations.
Personal computer/laptop, printer, telephone, copier, fax machine, and other office equipment.
To Apply: https://snjm.catsone.com/careers/74581-General/jobs/15063802-Director-Villa-Mariadel-Mar-Retreat-Center
For more information, contact Stephanie Swan in our SNJM HR Department at email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org