GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Responsible for parish programs and processes designed to lead the adults, children and youth of the faith community to maturity of faith through instruction and formation in the Christian life.
- Develop and implement long and short-term goals and objectives for the areas of responsibility under the supervision of the Pastor.
- In cooperation with the Pastor, evaluate catechetical programs in areas of responsibility at regular intervals.
- Coordinate and provide ministry through online tools when necessary.
- Coordinate and/or oversee all components of the parish catechetical ministry program – adults, youth, children and families.
- Plan and develop curriculum for parish catechetical ministry programs.
- Select materials, promote and provide adult faith formation.
- Coordinate and oversee Christian Initiation of adults and children and sacramental preparation for all ages.
- Assist in planning sacramental celebrations.
- Provide opportunities for family faith formation.
- Recruit, select, provide initial training, supervise and evaluate catechists in the areas of responsibility.
- Encourage the spiritual and professional development of catechists.
- Assist coordinators and catechists as needed.
- Assist in the review and selection of catechetical texts.
- Follow diocesan guidelines.
- Prepare and monitor the catechetical ministry budget.
- Supervise the collection of fees and purchase of catechetical materials.
- Supervise the maintenance of records: permanent records, sacramental records, catechist records, and emergency information.
- Aware of legal issues related to catechetical ministry and follow the law regarding child abuse.
- Maintain appropriate internal and external communications.
- Communicate regularly with the Pastor and pastoral staff, attend staff meetings and collaborate in appropriate catechetical/parish projects.
- Communicate regularly with catechists, encouraging them, assisting them, and supporting their development and certification.
- Communicate with parents regularly and promote their active involvement.
- Act as liaison between the parish catechetical program, youth ministry, the catechumenate and the Catholic School.
- Participate in diocesan catechetical meetings as appropriate.
- Promote the participation of catechists in Diocesan and other opportunities for training and formation.
Personal and Professional Development
- Maintain Master Catechist Certification.
- Participate in opportunities for continuing professional and spiritual development.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
QUALIFICATIONS: This position requires a good understanding of Scripture, theology, catechesis, program development, coordination and professional relationships. This position also requires the ability to provide training and ongoing support of catechists. Qualifications include a Bachelor’s Degree in course of study related to catechetics, religious education, theology, pastoral ministry or equivalent, current Master Catechist Certification and three to five years of experience as a Catechetical Coordinator. Persons who do not meet the preferred qualifications above are expected to work toward becoming fully qualified with the assistance and consideration of the parish.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary Range: $21.68 – $31.44 per hour based on education and experience.