The Director of Catechetical Ministry is responsible for the overall direction of the Parish’s catechetical program and processes for early childhood, elementary and junior high and sacramental preparation. The DCM supervises the Early Childhood Coordinator, Youth Ministry Coordinator, and Catechetical Office Administrative Assistant. The Director of Catechetical Ministry is directly responsible for Grades Two through Eight and the sacramental preparation programs.
- Develop a philosophy, guidelines and curriculum for the Catechetical Ministry Program.
- Evaluate the needs of the Program participants on a yearly basis in collaboration with the other Program staff.
- Prepare a budget for the Program, and inventory and order supplies and textbooks with other Program Staff members.
- Oversee the publication of a regular newsletter for the families and catechists in the Program.
- Provide support materials for the Catechists.
- Coordinate Christian Initiation of Children and sacramental preparation for First Reconciliation, Confirmation and Eucharist and plan the celebrations of these sacraments in collaboration with the Presider, the Liturgist and the school Religious Education Coordinator.
- Coordinate the Liturgy of the Word program for children.
- Evaluate Program Staff with the Pastor.
- Coordinate Catechetical Sunday, Alviso Outreach and Registration Sunday.
Catechist Recruitment and Formation:
- Recruit catechists for areas of direct responsibility, provide formation for and evaluate these Catechists.
- Support and assist the Early Childhood Ministry Coordinator in recruitment and formation of Catechists.
- Provide opportunities for spiritual enrichment for Catechists.
- Collaborate with other members of the Parish Staff on projects that affect the whole parish (i.e., Generations: Growing Together in Faith, Restored Order, Parish Thank You Party)
- Encourage active parent participation in the program.
- Encourage adult family members to participate in Adult Faith Formation opportunities.
- Attend Diocesan, Cluster and Parish Staff Meetings
- Attend a minimum of 16 hours of Catechetical enrichment each year.
Accountability: The Director of Catechetical Ministry is directly responsible to the Pastor. The DCM will be evaluated by the Pastor and the Pastor is ultimately responsible for hiring and salary decisions.
Qualifications: Desire a MA in Theology or Pastoral Ministry, a Master Catechist Certificate plus five years of experience.
Salary Range: $23.50 per hour – $26.53 per hours based on education and experience.