St. Leo the Great is seeking a part-time Afterschool Athletic Coordinator for the 2023-2024 school year. St. Leo the Great is located at 1051 W. San Fernando Street in the Midtown area of San Jose. St. Leo serves 215 students in preschool-8th grade. Interested candidates should review the job description and qualifications below and contact school principal, Mr. Matt Komar at email@example.com if interested in applying for this position.
Under the direct supervision of the Principal, the Athletic Coordinator develops and implements grade-level athletic programs, directs and coordinates a full range of athletic department services and programs, and maintains the safety standards of the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (and other duties as assigned):
● Model and promote good sportsmanship.
● Recruit and train coaches for each sport offered by the school.
● Ensure all coaches, scorekeepers, food service volunteers are in compliance with volunteer requirements.
● Attend school, league, and division meetings.
● Schedule, notify, and host meetings for coaches.
● Coordinate with parish, school, and other entities (e.g. Parks and Recreation Department) to secure facilities for practices and games. Oversee scheduling of practices and scrimmages.
● Accept responsibility for the safety and well-being of each child participating in the sports program.
● Register players for the school sports program.
● Register teams for tournaments.
● Provide a list of sports participants to the School Accountant to ensure registration fees are billed directly to families.
● Acquire and maintain equipment, first aid supplies, and uniforms.
● Maintain and operate the proper use of athletic equipment and supplies by participants.
● Maintain uniform inventory, distribution, return, and storage.
● Enforce facility, equipment, and program rules and regulations, taking appropriate disciplinary action with participants when necessary.
● Diffuse any potential problems involving spectators, coaches, or players.
● Be present at and supervise all home games.
● Maintain confidentiality over student and institutional information.
● Support the mission of the Catholic Church and schools in both words and actions including, but not limited to ensuring:
o Prayer is said before each home game
o Good sportsmanship during practices and games
o Coaches maintain a positive attitude when working with their teams
● Excellent organizational and human relations skills.
● Self-motivated and reliable.
● Able to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with principal, parents, staff, and the general public.
● Able to manage moderate levels of stress.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus (internal and external).
● Ethical and discreet team player.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
● Act as a role model of professionalism in a Catholic environment.
● Support the philosophy, policies, and goals of the school, as well as the decisions made by the Principal and Administrators.
● Ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all students.
● Adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the parent/student handbook and employee handbook.
● Work as part of a team.
● Attend faculty, administrative, and all other meetings as needed.
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES (OTHERS): Athletic program volunteers including, but not limited to, coaches, scorekeepers, food service workers.
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience:
● High school diploma.
● Previous experience working with student athletes and holding a leadership role.
● Knowledge of sports, basketball, track and field, and volleyball, preferred.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders of the school.
● English, required.
● Bilingual (English/Spanish or English/Vietnamese) preferred.
● First Aid and CPR certified.
● Proficient at word processing, presentation, and electronic mail applications.
● Working knowledge of Workday, or willingness to learn.
● Proficient with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications.
● Sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting, repetitive motion, bending, stooping, crouching, climbing, stretching, twisting.
● Can lift 25 lbs. in compliance with safety standards.
● Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
● Handles exposure to climate change and temperature.
● Level of vision, hearing, speaking required.
● Able to work evenings and weekends if required.
● Must have an understanding and acceptance for the mission of the Catholic Church.
● Must support the teachings and values of the Catholic Church and its mission.
Salary Range: $61,000 – $97,000 per year based on education and experience.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to school Principal, Mr. Matt Komar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com