Certificate or Proof of Insurance

Most often when you are planning an event or retreat for your parish or school group the event location or retreat center will request a certificate of insurance from the Diocese of San Jose. Below are the procedures and form for requesting a certificate. Please allow two weeks for processing these certificates.

Certificate of Insurance Request Procedures
Certificate of Insurance Request Form

Event Space Rental to Parishioners or Non Profits

The TULIP Program (Tenant User Liability Insurance Policy) provides low cost general liability insurance to “third party” outside users of various venues and facilities for events. It protects both the user and the facility against claims by guests who may be injured as a result of attending an event.

Events may range from seminars, receptions and weddings, to sporting events and concerts. Your premium quote is based upon the risk associated with the given event or activity, the number of days coverage is needed, the number of attendees and if there are any special requirements, such as alcohol liability, food service, etc.

Tenant Users Liability Insurance Policy, or TULIP, is an easy to use, fast method of insuring most types of events and activities taking place at various facilities and venues throughout the United States. Please use the link below to assist your Outside User in purchasing a liability policy for their event.

TULIP – K & K Event Insurance

The Diocese of San Jose has standard forms (below) that must be completed when permission is given to others to use our premises.  This form is to be filled out by the parish administrator or pastor and returned to the Risk Management Department after purchasing the Tulip event insurance policy (as stated above).

Category 1 Outside User Agreement (Rental of Church or School Property)

All non-profit, religious, educational or charitable groups (i.e. Knights of Columbus, Italian Catholic Federation, St. Vincent de Paul Society, etc.) who rent or use our facilities for a single event, charitable or meeting place may do so using their organization’s insurance and by providing to us a certificate of insurance naming the Roman Catholic Bishop of San Jose as additional insured and meet our insurance requirements as stated on the Category 2 Organization/Outside User Agreement.  This form should be filled out by the administrator or pastor/principal and returned to the Facilities, Risk and Insurance Department along with the certificate of insurance at least two weeks prior to the event.

Category 2 Outside User Agreement (Rental of Church or School Property by Non Profits)

Parish and School Events – Insurance Planning

Events such as Bingo or fundraising dinner or breakfast event that takes place on the parish or school property must have the proper general liability insurance coverage, permits and/or licensing on file. Contact theresa.lavoun@dsj.org to discuss these requirements prior to scheduling the event.

Carnival companies and all vendors at the Carnival must provide evidence of insurance naming the Roman Catholic Bishop of San Jose as an ‘additional insured’ on their policy.  Alcohol License must be obtained if alcohol is made available.  Food Permit must be obtained if food is sold.  Coordinate early (45 days in advance) with the Risk Management Department theresa.lavoun@dsj.org

Carnival/Festival/Event Procedures

Carnival Addendum

The history of the Catholic Church is built on people volunteering their time and talent. Volunteers are vital to the success of parish ministries and to our catholic schools.

A volunteer is a valued part of the church. The volunteer should be at least 18 years of age. If under 18, the volunteer should be accompanied by a parent or have been given permission by the parent to perform volunteer activities while supervised by other adults.

Every volunteer should go through a screening process which will be covered within the Guidelines below. A volunteer is not someone who is compensated for their service or under contract for their service. A volunteer is also not an employee functioning under their job description. Please make sure to contact the Office of Protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults and verify that your volunteer been registered with their office.

Volunteer Management Guidelines

Volunteer Appendix


Incident Report


Field Trips – Student, Catechetical and Youth & Young Adult Retreat Procedures

Student Activity Waiver

Student and Volunteer Claim form Philadelphia Insurance

A claim form must be filed for any student injured (while participating in a Diocesan approved activity) and taken for medical attention. to be filled out by an administrator, pastor/principal and given to the child’s guardian.  The child’s guardian will submit the claim form and all (medical) out of pocket receipts to Myers, Stevens, Toohey, Co., Inc. for reimbursements. This insurance is secondary.

Additional insurance for field trips and retreats (single or multiple day) is NO longer required as of August 1, 2019.

Events where participants engage in physical activity may require waiver and release forms.  Contact the Facilities, Insurance and Risk Department if you have any questions.


Every parish or school sponsored event creates a potential liability for the Diocese.  Before planning parish / school functions, we encourage you to balance the benefits anticipated with the unavoidable risks.  Some activities create such a great risk that they cannot be justified.  Sponsorship or involvement in the following activities are strictly prohibited :

•    Raft, Kayak, Canoe, watercraft or similar trips
•    Use of Parachutes
•    Inflatable Bouncing Houses/Games/Slides
•    Water/Snow Skiing
•    Wind/Water Surfing and Boogie Boarding
•    Parachute Sailing/Jumping
•    Climbing Walls
•    Motorcycles or all terrain vehicles
•    Any event involving Livestock
•    Boxing or Wrestling matches, Martial Arts, etc.
•    Dunk Tanks
•    Fire Performers, Firework Sales and Displays
•    Trampolines
•    Mountaineering and Rock Climbing
•    Use of Drones on Diocesan Property
•    Bungee Jumping
•    Skate Boarding, Ice and Roller Skating
•    Amusement Parks
•    Aircraft, including Hot Air Balloon rides
•    Water Parks
•    Ropes or Adventure Courses more than 12 feet above the ground.