The Mission of Youth Ministry at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Parish:
This position coordinates comprehensive Junior High and High School youth ministry for the parish. The Director of Youth Ministry will work collaboratively with the Parents, Pastor, Director of Faith Formation, as well as the Saint Elizabeth Seton school and pastoral staff. He/she will be responsible for coordinating all activities of the Junior High (Grades 6 – 8) and High School (Grades 9 – 12) youth ministry.
Hours: This is a part time, 18 hours/week, 12-months position
Qualifications and Skills:
- Being able to recruit and engage core team leaders and facilitators in support of the program.
- Being be able to attract, recruit, motivate, educate and retain youth members in the junior high and high school youth ministry programs.
- Have knowledge and understanding of Scripture, theology, liturgy, catechesis, and adult faith formation.
- Demonstrate and model for our youth active participation at Mass and other liturgical services.
- Have good verbal and written communication skills, and be proficient in the use of the computer, basic Microsoft Office functions and social media.
- Must follow guidelines for youth ministry safe environment and meet the standards as outlined for the Diocese of San Jose.
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for:
– Weekly meetings for Junior High and High School youth.
– Community outreach opportunities.
– Collaborating with parish activities.
– Engage the youth in Sunday Mass participation, ministries and prayer life.
Education and Experience:
The requirements include a college degree plus experience working with youth. Also desired would be either a Certificate of Youth Ministry, be a graduate of the Institute for Leadership in Ministry, or Certificate of Master Catechist. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and letter of presentation to email@example.com.
Director of Youth Ministry
St. Nicholas and St. William Parish
The Director of Youth Ministry has overall responsibility for the faith formation goals for the youth of our parish from 5th grade to college. The Director works together with the staff to create a culture of evangelization, and faith formation is for the youth of our parish. The position is full or part time (hours are flexible) and reports to the Pastor.
- Oversees formation programs for parishioners between the ages of 10 and 18, including youth ministry and sacramental preparation. Directs the following programs:
- Confirmation Program
- Edge Middle School Ministry
- Intersection Teen Ministry
- Youth Mass
- Winter Youth Ministry Retreat
- LA Youth Day and Congress Leadership Retreat
- Knowledge of and ability to convey effectively the official teachings of the church regarding scripture, doctrine, morality and spirituality with demonstrated fidelity to these teachings.
- Track and maintain the overall Youth Ministry budget
- Direct Leadership Teams – Provide ongoing training and formation for the teen leadership team for both Edge and Intersection programs.
- Oversee Sacramental programs for Confirmation.
- Maintain all registration, records, and for programs.
Education and Experience:
- Academic: College degree desired, or background in education, catechesis, and/or religious studies.
- Experience: 2+ years’ experience working (paid or volunteer) in parish youth programs desired.
- Certification: Basic Catechist Certification desired.
Language Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence and letters and in publishing newsletters and flyers in English; ability to develop and facilitate workshops, training and presentations.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic knowledge of internet applications and social media platforms.
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 650-948-2158
Parish: St. Catherine of Alexandria
Reports to: Pastor
POSITION SUMMARY: Develop and coordinate comprehensive youth ministry: teens, younger and older adolescents
MAJOR POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND REGULAR ACTIVITIES
1. Identify, train and support parish leadership teams of youth and adults who, together with existing parish commissions, will implement the three goals and eight components of youth ministry as found in Renewing the
Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry, USCCB, 1997.
- To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
- To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the faith community.
- To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
Justice and Service
Prayer and Worship
- Coordinate the catechetical efforts for teens and adolescents utilizing a comprehensive youth ministry model, including Confirmation.
- Utilize effective means of communicating with youth, their parents and families about the variety of ministry and program opportunities available.
- Support and resource parents as the leaders of the domestic church of the home, and the primary formers of the faith of their children.
- Develop and maintain a budget approved by the Finance Commission and Pastor.
- Provide ongoing education and consciousness-raising for the broader parish in regards to a vision of youth ministry, youth culture, adolescent development, youth needs, etc.
- Serves as the liaison to other youth-serving agencies within the broader community as well as to the Diocese of San Jose.
- Advocate for participation by youth in the ministries and service organizations of the parish.
- Develop and utilize evaluative tools for all aspects of the ministry
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS/ REQUIREMENTS
Skills, Knowledge and Ability | YMC = Youth Ministry Coordinator
- A YMC is a person of Christian faith who strives to live a life guided by the Gospel, rooted in regular personal prayer, and lived out in the Catholic faith community.
- A YMC’s faith has been formed in the Catholic theological tradition; a YMC is knowledgeable in Sacred Scripture, Christology, Ecclesiology, Catholic Doctrine, Sacramental and Moral Theology.
- A YMC is an effective leader and administrator; skilled in communication, pastoral planning, budgeting, legal concerns and managing volunteers.
- A YMC understands the needs, development and culture of youth and is able to effectively respond to these in ministry programming.
- A YMC understands and effectively apply the principles, processes and methods of:
-Adolescent evangelization and catechesis.
-Individual, communal and liturgical prayer in ministry with young people.
-Building community with young people.
-Pastoral care for youth.
-Youth formation in justice and service.
-Leadership development for adults and youth in youth ministry.
-Advocacy on behalf of youth and youth ministry.
- A YMC understands the critical role that families play in the healthy formation of youth and can effectively integrate a family perspective into youth ministry.
- A YMC understands the importance that cultural heritage brings to the development of faith. A DYM can integrate multicultural experiences into all dimensions of youth ministry and can respond to the unique needs of youth from different cultural heritages.
- A YMC is knowledgeable about, and able to effectively utilize, a variety of resources in youth ministry
Education and/or Experience
- A. in Theology, Pastoral Ministry, or related field, knowledge of Catholic teachings, catechesis and documents on youth ministry
- Extensive experience in youth ministry
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR QUANTIFIABLE MEASURES
Responsible for defined budget
This position requires frequent weekend, evening and off-site work.